Friday, October 26, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in L.A.: Week 4

[Update: 11/27/2012, Underline indicates additions.]
This Trip Includes:
2. Car Trip
3. Walking Trip
5. Visit to a Location I've Never Visited Before


Walking in Little Toyko, Los Angeles

The Little Tokyo Visitor Center/Police Station.
       This past weekend, I trekked to downtown L.A. to visit Little Tokyo with a few friends from a school organization that I am active in. It was very nice because we all carpooled together and they also told me a lot about the history of Little Tokyo. Not only could I walk around by myself, but I gained insight into their perspective on this historic ethnic community.



Here's the route I took when we carpooled from UCLA to Little Tokyo.


       I passed by the Los Angeles Convention Center, The Staples Center and various high-rise buildings. For the majority of my car trip, I noticed a lot of freeways and cars. It was hard to observe the people, so instead I just looked around at the urban landscape and I took pictures of whatever I could capture through the window. It was pretty gloomy out that last Saturday and the gray of the clouds matched the concrete freeways and the buildings. Watching all the cars driving and piling up, I thought about the incredible impact of automobility in Los Angeles that helped spur the 4th Urban Revolution and how different life would be if there were trains instead of cars. On one hand cars and the necessity of automobility gives the residents of the L.A. area freedom and independence, but because of traffic, the cost of gas and less human interaction that accompanies driving, I think it's also very limiting. It not only separates us from interacting with others if we were to use public transportation, but it can create social distinction just by owning cars, like the type of car you have (expensive and new vs. old and rundown) or if you can even afford to maintain one. 


       When I got there, there was low material density and the surroundings seemed very quiet. There wasn't a high amount of traffic once I got within the Little Tokyo community. Immediately, I could tell we were in a different part of L.A. There were names and words written in hiragana, katakana and kanji (the writing systems of the Japanese language- see above). Additionally, the lamp posts were distinctly different than other L.A. because they had little fans with cats at the top (see picture below). These physical markers on the urban landscape signified the cultural and social difference of this space. I walked through the Japanese Business Plaza and it mainly consisted of food stores, grocery stores and clothing stores and they almost all Japanese stores catering to a Japanese clientele. These obvious markers on stores, signs and on the streets illustrated the cultural differentiation of Little Tokyo and serves as an indicator to visitors and people who live here that this is an ethnic community.

       I noticed there were also quite a few homeless people. For instance, one homeless lady approached me and told me she had AIDs and needed money for food. She also asked my friends for money, offering to provide documentation of her illness. We gave her about fifteen dollars and she left. Additionally, another homeless man asked me to take his picture because I had a camera. He was a former veteran. I'm not exactly sure why he wanted me to take his photo but I told him that I was working on a class project and he asked me to include his photo. Below is his photo, but I have blurred out his face to protect his privacy. Witnessing this level of poverty in a business area which seems pretty successful and resilient was a little unexpected for me. I would assume that the businesses nearby would want to set up funds or set up centers to help these homeless people, but as far as I could see in Little Tokyo, there were none. I did a little research online and there is a transitional homeless center in Little Tokyo, but homelessness has been an issue in Little Tokyo for quite some time. 
       As I was walking and I saw more homeless people, I kept wondering why there were homeless people there. After lecture this week, it became more clear to me and I think I understand why homeless people stick around Little Tokyo. Professor Wilford showed us a map of the different districts and neighborhoods in L.A. and the proximity of the Wholesale district (which is where Skid Row) is located is very close. At first I thought this is a bit of the spill over of the extreme poverty observed in Skid Row. I think the homeless people in this area could be some of the spill over of the extreme poverty observed in Skid Row. However, after reading a few blogs and looking at pictures online of how skid row really is, I realized that this instead also exhibited the carceral archipelago (lack of benches, seating, public water fountains, etc.), known as using police tactics to control the demographic of a certain area, as there is a noticeably small amount of homeless people when comparing Little Tokyo to Skid Row. This drastic contrast between the volume of homeless people and the urban surroundings of the area really reveal how L.A. has an extreme amount of fragmented inequality. So while there is still a noticeable population of homeless people in Little Tokyo, perhaps from spillover from places like Skid Row, there is much less because of the carceral archipelago built into the urban landscape.

       After walking around the Japanese American National Museum, where I took the picture of the homeless man, I tried to look for all the historical sculptures and artwork throughout Little Tokyo. I walked down Central Ave. and saw a mural that was painted to celebrate the Little Tokyo community (mural is shown below). The mural is an artistic representation of how the community feels about it's sense of place within Los Angeles since it first became an ethnic community. It shows different generations throughout time, like traditional Japanese immigrants, second generation Japanese Americans and the modern generation of Japanese Americans. Emphasized within the mural is a sense of diversity, not only in the activities that the Japanese engage in, but also in the ethnicities of those depicted. The African American community is represented within the mural as well, I believe to show the connection the Japanese feel with the African American community, as they felt both experienced racial and ethnic discrimination that was treated as the naturalization of difference in America. Perhaps, this is a current attempt on behalf of Little Tokyo to bridge the gap between people in this area resulting from decentralization and fragmented inequality.
       The mural also emphasizes the  way in which being a Japanese American has changed, as now Japanese Americans engage in all sorts of modern activities, not just traditional Japanese activities (like dancing, etc.). This mural indicates how culture changes and is fluid over time. This connects to Stuart Hall from our lecture on race as a "floating signifier," because activities that Japanese people might have been stereotypically thought of engaging in (like traditional dancing, etc.) are not the only activities they might engage in (Wilford 2012). While people still might engage in these activities, the mural shows how Japanese Americans engage in very diverse and modern American activities, as well as traditionally Japanese activities. Additionally, the mural, which depicts generational and cultural changes shows how the meaning of being a Japanese American has changed over the course of time since Little Tokyo has been in Los Angeles. 


       In total, I spent about five hours walking around and I gained a greater appreciation for my own heritage (I'm half Japanese) and learned a lot about the sense of place that has evolved in Little Tokyo as a result of the influx of Japanese immigrants and their presence in Los Angeles. This ethnic neighborhood, along with other ethnic neighborhoods (China Town, Korea Town, Little India, etc.) in Los Angeles, are representative of how the economy and the culture of 4th urban revolution cities expresses greater globalization as a result of being so densely populated, attractive to immigrants and engaging in post-fordism (movement of capital and goods overseas). I think this globalization and post-fordism has created a lot of cultural syncretism, like the Japanese culture and the Los Angeles American culture fused together. Below is a neat brand I saw displayed in one of the booths in the Japanese Business Plaza. The company was called "Japangeles." 




       Social Difference in Little Tokyo presents itself simultaneously in the homeless people who are present around the businesses and area, the customers who shop here and the cultural differentiation that occurs because the area is an ethnic community. Historically, Little Tokyo recognizes (though their murals and other artwork, sculptures, etc.) that they were once excluded from mainstream American culture and now celebrate that they are not. Instead of forgetting, they choose to display this within the urban landscape. 

Unlinked References
Wilford, J. (Nov. 19, 2012). Geog. 151: Cities of Social Difference. Geography 151. Lecture conducted from
             University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA. 


2 comments:

  1. Solid post, Breeanna! It was interesting to read and left me with a few areas that I want to comment on. Los Angeles is, indeed, as defined by the automobile as a city can be defined by any characteristic. There is a deep reliance on personal vehicles for travel by L.A.’s residents, stemming from generations prior, who designed the city around the idea of vehicle travel. There is certainly little social interaction during city travel at the moment, but I think that if L.A. had a widespread train system, as you mention, there won’t be much more focused, meaningful interaction. For years, I used one of the busiest subway systems in the world – Moscow’s – and the social interaction was quite sparse: people are busy with getting to their destinations and personal tasks, most often using (Giddens’s concepts of) civil inattention and polite estrangement. However, social interactions will likely increase overall, just from the volume of people using the subway. A quick reply to your point about the creation of social distinction through cars: it seems that you see that to be a bit of a negative, but I think that it’s simply an effect of the existence of a non-collectivist society. The difference in wealth and influence will manifest itself somehow: in the case of L.A., a common appearance of it is through vehicles. It’s less problematic than other kinds of displays of power, I think.

    I don’t think that I have deeply explored Little Tokyo, so I was interested to read about your experience in the area. I’m particularly partial to the lamp posts; to me, architectural distinction has always seemed to be an essential feature of ethnic neighborhoods. I do sense your description of the low material density of the neighborhood – downtown and the areas around it have long been shockingly barren. As the supposed forum of the city, it utterly fails to bring people together, other than for the occasional festival or sports event. Much of it was arranged to expedite business and manufacturing, with gridded streets full of menacingly tall buildings and right-angled corners evoking the alleys of Manhattan; there isn’t a unified area for people to gather. I’m curious if you had a different opinion for why Little Tokyo was so sparsely populated when you visited it.

    I can’t quite understand your point about the reason for the homeless in Little Tokyo. Accounting for the concept of the carceral archipelago in Skid Row, do you mean that there should be more homeless people in Little Tokyo, or less of them? I do think that the proximity of Little Tokyo to areas such as Downtown and Skid Row - in which there is a relatively large homeless presence - is a factor for their presence in Little Tokyo as well. By the way, what came to my mind when I pondered over carceral archipelagos wasn’t Skid Row (or Hamsterdam from “The Wire”), but the United Kingdom. The larger cities of the UK are dotted with camera and police surveillance as well as all kinds of installations separating areas from one another.

    On the whole, the neighborhood seems quite interesting! I would like to visit the J.A.N.M. and compare it to other museums which aim to present the culture of ethnic minorities within the country. I’m glad that you gained further knowledge about your heritage; when visiting L.A. areas which are heavy on Russian culture (such as West Hollywood) I don’t tend to sense such appreciation, but I do quite enjoy the sentimental feelings that arise to me. On the mural which you uploaded a picture of, one phrase that I can make out states that, “Little Tokyo is a bridge to downtown communities.” Within the 4th Urban Revolution and off of your experience in the area, it does seem like it stays true to its word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Konstantin!

    Thanks so much for the comment! I'm glad you enjoyed reading my post on Little Tokyo! I definitely enjoyed visiting and I think if you ever decide to go, you will enjoy it too. :) That's also really neat that you used to live in Moscow! Moscow is so gorgeous from what I have seen in pictures, I would really love to visit one day.

    About the cars, I agree with you that inconsistencies in wealth and status will appear in different ways and that cars are one way this occurs. I also think that it's definitely an obvious way to observe how inequality restricts people of different social classes from engaging in the same activities as other classes. I feel like cars definitely do reflect the wealth and status, just like everything else, but takes cars take it a step further by reinforcing these different class inequalities, because it prevents people who can't afford cars, for example, from looking beyond their locality for jobs or other means of making money as well as engaging in other activities, like making trips for leisure around the city. In this way, I feel the way the city is structure for automobility and the cars themselves are limiting and also reveal the very large impact of social difference has on transportation, something that impacts people and their activities on an almost everyday basis.

    To answer your question, I am not really sure why there wasn’t that many people in Little Tokyo. If I had to guess, I would say that it could be because Little Tokyo is a little expensive and also might be a bit touristy for L.A. residents. The majority of the stores I visited in Little Tokyo tended to mark up the prices on their items. I think that many L.A. residents could find all of the items that were in Little Tokyo for much cheaper at their local asian grocery stores and I’m sure many of the residents are aware of that. As a result, it probably attracts and serves more tourists instead. While there are a lot of tourists in Los Angeles, Little Tokyo probably doesn't attract every tourist (it might be more of a niche interest) and as a result, there is less people there. However, there could be other social and economic factors contributing to the sparse material density.

    I'm sorry about my paragraph on carceral archipelago! Upon re-reading it I realized that I posted the version of my post before I did my last update on it. (I type everything into word before I post it on blogger.) So, my words got a little scrambled and were unclear. I have updated it to reflect what I meant to say originally. What I meant to say about Little Tokyo is that the homeless population that exists in Little Tokyo is probably a result of the proximity to Skid Row. However, the homeless population is definitely smaller than areas like Skid Row because of the carceral archipelago within Little Tokyo.

    That's so interesting about the UK and the carceral archipelago in the form of camera and police surveillance! I find it fascinating that something as simple as the mere presence of a camera or a police officer can discourage certain people from entering a particular vicinity.

    Thank you so much again for reading! I really appreciate your feedback! Good luck with finals!

    ReplyDelete